Sustainability is an imperative part of the scheme, especially as Taunton is aiming for carbon neutrality by 2030.
The following initiatives are included within the development:
- Cycle hub with large amount of secure cycle parking, lockers and electric charging.
- Well connected, attractive, safe cycle routes around and through the site.
- Solar PVs to all suitable roof across development. Combination of pitched roofs and flat roofs.
- High priority given to landscaping, green spaces and extensive planting.
- Sustainable drainage strategy integrated into landscape design. The water feature provides a permanent but fluctuating water store and the ‘rain gardens’ allow for surface water to be absorbed in the landscape.
- High quality green amenity spaces for the public and residents to feel the benefits of outdoor space for play and recreation.
- Well designed and considered recycling facilities throughout the development to encourage sustainable habits in the residents.
- Mechanical ventilation heat recovery systems to all dwellings to ensure fresh air without heat loss.
- Highly efficient insulation and good airtightness to all dwellings to retain heat and ensure energy efficiency.
- Energy centre water source heat pump using river water to create and provide low carbon heat & hot water to the development.
- Consideration given to orientation of buildings to gain maximum benefit of solar gain .